Staying Safe Online & Offline
The overwhelming majority of online users are trustworthy and well-intentioned, and staying safe online is just as important as offline.
With billions of human interactions facilitated, the incidence of violent crime is extremely low.
Nevertheless, please take the same common sense precautions online as you would offline.
When meeting someone for the first time, please remember to:
- Insist on a public meeting place like a cafe.
- Do not meet in a secluded place, or invite strangers into your home.
- Be especially careful buying/selling high value items.
- Consider making high-value exchanges at your local police station.
- Tell a friend or family member where you’re going.
- Take your cell phone along if you have one.
- Consider having a friend accompany you.
- Trust your instincts.
Taking these simple precautions helps make online interactions safer for everyone.
For more information about personal safety online, check out these resources:
Please review our avoiding scams page as well.